The Hapuku Co-operative Dairy Company

The Factory was originally the Hapuku Co-operative Dairy Company and was constructed by a group of Hapuku and Kincaid farmers. Finding the distance to Kaikoura by horse and dray too great, they decided to open their own dairy company. It opened on December 1st 1910 but closed on 28th March 1926 after motor transport made it redundant. It was found the factory had scarcely enough milk to cover its high running costs and its boiler had been condemned.

It was then used as a woolshed for the next 70 years until two Auckland artists discovered it in a neglected state in 1996. They took on the mammoth task of converting the old building into a luxury 5-bedroom home.   They created a remarkable building of contrasts between the industrial rawness of concrete, steel and recycled timbers with the luxuriousness of indulgent fabrics and colours.

Subsequent owners continued this theme, maintaining the integrity and history of the building while fully insulating and heating the house and allowing more light into the living area. They also added an American barn to house their helicopter as well as a registered helicopter pad.

Janet and Paul have completed the luxury feel of The Factory guest wing by installing underfloor heating throughout and continuing the theme of ‘Industrial Chic’ and ultimate comfort with the use of deluxe furnishings and linens.

Ext Factory

Follow Us

facebooktwitteremail

Like Us

qualmark5starTripadvisor

Contact Us

Telephone: +64 (0)3 3193034

Mobile: +64 (0)220115233

5 Hapuku Road,

Kaikoura

New Zealand

© The Factory 2016